29 January 2009

Lessons learned

We can all draw parallels from history. One for example: I have a huge life ahead of me. I'm almost halfway through the first third of college. Most people don't do the last two-thirds, which I am deliberating doing, MA and Ph.D. Many do so, and end up teaching. That can be done. It seems something daunting and far, like someday going back to where I served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ in Peru. I just got back last August. My wife (then my fiance) was VERY happy about that.

I compare it to the experience an ancestor of mine had in the early years of the modern organization of the Church. I know that this Church was founded anciently, in the seeds of the adoration of Adam and Eve, and that it's the same church, same gospel, every nook and cranny, as what Jesus taught, not missing a thing. We learned in Doctrine and Covenants class this past week about the difficulties my ancestors faced while trying to reach what for them was certainly the promised land. Human frailties and imperfections got in the way, but they reached their goal, as far as they could project. They just needed to persevere, pray, and hope. I will do all those things, and I WILL reach my goals.

The truth is... God always has more in store for us than we ever can imagine for ourselves. He really does love us, wants us to excel, and He'll take us higher than we can think to fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment